Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Eticket Kiosk

This is NOT a complicated machine! It is not evil. It is not trying to take over the world, or even our jobs.

The first thing you will see is a flashing arrow with the words.... SCAN YOUR ID OR CREDIT CARD HERE! (this is for identification only you will not be charged).

Some reactions to this:

1. Stand there and stare blankly at the machine. (It can not read your mind) I wonder how long they would just stare if I didn't go help them.

2. Just assume that it is too complicated and say, "Oh I can't do that!"

3. Refuse to use it or go near it. "I hate those things!" "Why can't I get checked in by a real person!?"

Jen: "That's Ok sir I will use the eticket machine for you." "May I see your ID please."

Pax: Pulling out his ID and complaining, "I don't know why you make me use this, why can't a real person check me in?"

Jen: "I am a real person, I am standing beside you, and I am doing all the button pushing, the only thing you did was show me your ID, which is what you would have done had I been behind the counter."

You can look at a seat map and change your own seat. Make sure your frequent flyer miles are in your reservation, and print a receipt.

4. Stare at the machine for a while, then try to stuff your itinerary papers into the place where the boarding passes come out. That one cracks me up every time, and yes it has happened more than once.

5. Just touch the screen apparently at random, then stare at it until an agent comes to help you and starts the thing over.

Believe me I understand, first time flyers, or if you haven't traveled in a long time, but I have seen this kind of thing from people who are frequent flyers.

Have a nice flight! (And learn to use the damn machine!)

No comments: